IT Band injuries can have several causes, including the following.
- Increasing mileage too quickly
- Running too fast for the current body condition
- Running on roads with a curvature or crown such that the same leg is always on the outside of the road
- Insufficient stretching of the IT Band and hip-related muscles
- Excessive pronation and not wearing proper shoes
CAUTION: Do not try to run through the pain of an ITB injury!! You may make the injury worse, and it could become chronic. Here is a great article on ITB injuries.
The information on this site is for informational purposes only; it does not constitute medical or physical therapy advice. For medical advice, consult a physician. For physical therapy advice, consult a physical therapist.